Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Posession, A Romance
By A. S. Byatt

I liked this book a lot. I like everything I've read by A.S. Byatt. I like that she is so interested in stories, writing, language, and symbolism, and she crafts her fiction to mix these elements in a natural way. She reminds me of Jane Austin in how she fits a story together and how she treats her characters. She gives dimension to heroes and villains, allowing you to identify with their triumphs and tragedies. Possession is a rich story with several interesting dimensions woven together, examining the idea of different kinds of possession in her characters interconnected stories. It is titled as a romance, but it is also a detective story, and equally uses devices from both genres, the story remains fresh 'till the end with several twists, and doesn't take the cheap way out. All in all, great work. Worth reading and re-reading.

No comments: